Certified Two Cent Pieces
The Act of April 22, 1864, which changed the weight and composition of the cent, included a provision for a bronze two-cent piece. The weight was specified as 96 grains, the alloy being the same as for the cent. The shield design is very similar to that on the nickel five-cent piece introduced in 1866. All dates were produced at the Philadelphia Mint. The two-cent piece was produced by the Mint of the United States for circulation from 1864 to 1872 and for collectors in 1873. Designed by James B. Longacre, there were decreasing mintages each year, as other minor coins such as the nickel proved more popular. It was abolished by the Mint Act of 1873.