Panama 1/4 balboa 1973 KM#11.2a PF

  • Inventory:
    2 In Stock
  • Product ID: 30400
As low as: $7.50
Qty Wire/Check Bitcoin CC/PayPal
Any $7.50 $7.58 $7.80
  • Description:

    The Panama 1/4 balboa coin from 1973, cataloged as KM#11.2a and graded as Proof (PF), represents a fascinating blend of numismatic beauty and historical significance. Struck almost five decades ago, this coin provides us with a window into Panama's history and cultural heritage, making it a cherished item for collectors and enthusiasts alike.

    To truly appreciate this coin, it's essential to delve into the historical context of Panama in the early 1970s. During this period, Panama was experiencing a significant shift in its political landscape. In 1977, the Panama Canal Zone was handed back to Panama from the United States, marking the end of American control over the canal. This transition was a momentous event in Panama's history, signifying its renewed sovereignty and control over a vital international waterway.

    The obverse (front) of the coin features a striking portrait of Vasco Núñez de Balboa, a Spanish explorer celebrated for being the first European to witness the Pacific Ocean in 1513. Balboa's pioneering spirit and exploration across the Isthmus of Panama are commemorated on this coin, serving as a reminder of Panama's historical significance in global exploration and trade. Beneath Balboa's portrait, the inscription "V. NUNEZ DE BALBOA" is elegantly engraved, acknowledging the explorer's crucial role in Panama's history and his contribution to the age of discovery. Turning to the reverse (back) of the coin, we encounter Panama's national coat of arms, a symbol of the country's identity and heritage. The coat of arms is divided into four quadrants, each rich in symbolism. The upper-left quadrant features a crossed sword and rifle, signifying Panama's commitment to defending its sovereignty and independence. The upper-right quadrant displays a crossed shovel and pickaxe, representing the construction and significance of the Panama Canal, an engineering marvel that shaped the nation's destiny.

    In the lower-left quadrant, we see a ship sailing on the Pacific Ocean, while the lower-right quadrant depicts a ship on the Caribbean Sea. These symbols highlight Panama's unique geographical position as a bridge between two oceans, emphasizing its strategic importance in global trade and commerce.

    Surrounding the coat of arms is a banner bearing the inscription "REPUBLICA DE PANAMÁ," proudly declaring Panama's status as a sovereign republic.

    The Panama 1/4 balboa coin is relatively compact, with a diameter of approximately 25.5 millimeters. It typically has a weight ranging from 6.25 to 6.35 grams. The coin's silver composition contributes to its enduring appeal and intrinsic value, giving it a timeless luster and beauty.

    Comprising 90% silver, this coin represents the historical allure of precious metals and their enduring value. The remaining 10% consists of copper, enhancing the coin's durability and resistance to wear, ensuring its longevity and attractiveness to collectors.

    Proof coins like this one were minted with exceptional care and precision, resulting in sharp details and mirror-like surfaces. The mintage, or the number of coins produced in a specific year, for Proof coins is often limited, adding to their collectible status.

    One fascinating fact about Panama is its unique geographical location as a bridge between continents and oceans. The Panama Canal, often referred to as the "Crossroads of the World," has played a pivotal role in global trade by connecting the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. This engineering marvel has significantly reduced travel distances and time for vessels, making it one of the most critical and strategic waterways worldwide.

    In conclusion, the Panama 1/4 balboa coin from 1973, graded as Proof (PF), is a numismatic treasure that embodies Panama's history and its transition to full control over the Panama Canal. Its elegant design, compact size, silver composition, and Proof quality make it a sought-after collectible for numismatists and history enthusiasts alike. Whether admired for its aesthetic appeal, historical significance, or intrinsic silver value, this coin serves as a lasting tribute to Panama's enduring legacy and its pivotal role in the annals of international trade.

  • Details:
    • Denomination: N/A
    • Year: 1973
    • Diameter: N/A
    • Mint Mark: N/A
    • Thickness: N/A
    • Grade: N/A

Customer reviews