Panama 1/4 balboa 1971 KM#11.2a PF

  • Inventory:
    2 In Stock
  • Product ID: 30391
As low as: $7.50
Qty Wire/Check Bitcoin CC/PayPal
Any $7.50 $7.58 $7.80
  • Description:

    The Panama 1/4 balboa coin from 1971, cataloged as KM#11.2a and graded as Proof (PF), is a numismatic gem that offers a captivating glimpse into Panama's rich history and cultural heritage. Minted over five decades ago, this coin is not only a collector's delight but also a symbol of Panama's unique identity and heritage.

    To truly appreciate the significance of this coin, it's essential to understand the historical context in which it was issued. In 1971, Panama was undergoing a period of social and political change. The nation was asserting its sovereignty and cultural identity, reflecting its rich history as a crossroads of cultures and commerce. The Panama Canal, a symbol of Panama's strategic importance on the global stage, was under the control of the Panama Canal Commission, a joint entity between the United States and Panama.

    The design of the Panama 1/4 balboa coin pays tribute to Vasco Núñez de Balboa, the Spanish explorer who became the first European to witness the Pacific Ocean while crossing the Isthmus of Panama in 1513. On the obverse (front) of the coin, a remarkable portrait of Balboa takes center stage. This depiction captures Balboa's adventurous spirit and historical significance. The name "V. NUNEZ DE BALBOA" is elegantly inscribed below the portrait, commemorating this iconic explorer and his role in Panama's history.

    Turning to the reverse (back) of the coin, Panama's national coat of arms is prominently displayed. The coat of arms features a shield divided into four quadrants. The upper-left quadrant contains a crossed sword and rifle, symbolizing Panama's commitment to defending its sovereignty. The upper-right quadrant displays a crossed shovel and pickaxe, representing the construction of the Panama Canal, a monumental engineering feat. The lower-left quadrant features a ship sailing on the Pacific Ocean, while the lower-right quadrant shows a ship on the Caribbean Sea, signifying Panama's unique position as a bridge between two oceans.

    A banner encircles the coat of arms with the inscription "REPUBLICA DE PANAMÁ," emphasizing Panama's identity as a sovereign republic. The coin's design captures the essence of Panama's history, from its indigenous heritage to its pivotal role in global trade.

    In terms of its physical attributes, the Panama 1/4 balboa coin is relatively small, with a diameter of approximately 24.3 millimeters. Its weight, primarily attributed to its silver composition, typically ranges from 5.83 to 6.25 grams. The coin's silver content not only adds to its intrinsic value but also lends it a lustrous and timeless quality.

    The coin is crafted from 90% silver, a composition highly sought after by collectors who appreciate the precious metal's historical significance and enduring value. The remaining 10% consists of copper, providing the coin with durability and resistance to wear, ensuring its long-lasting appeal.

    These coins were likely minted in the United States, where the Panama Canal Zone was under American administration. The mintage, or the number of coins produced in a specific year, can vary. Proof coins, such as this one, are specially struck with meticulous care, resulting in flawless surfaces, sharp details, and mirror-like fields. The Proof designation attests to the coin's exceptional quality and craftsmanship.

    An interesting fact about Panama is its unique position as a nation that bridges two continents and two oceans. The Panama Canal, often referred to as the "Crossroads of the World," plays a pivotal role in global trade by connecting the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. It reduces travel distances and time for vessels, making it one of the most crucial and strategic waterways globally.

    In conclusion, the Panama 1/4 balboa coin from 1971, graded as Proof (PF), is a numismatic treasure that reflects Panama's cultural heritage, history, and sovereignty. Its exquisite design, compact size, silver composition, and Proof quality make it a prized collectible for numismatists and history enthusiasts. Whether admired for its aesthetic beauty, historical significance, or intrinsic silver value, this coin stands as a testament to Panama's rich heritage and its vital role on the global stage.

  • Details:
    • Denomination: N/A
    • Year: 1971
    • Diameter: N/A
    • Mint Mark: N/A
    • Thickness: N/A
    • Grade: N/A

Customer reviews