Panama 1/4 balboa 1970 KM#11.2a PF

  • Inventory:
    3 In Stock
  • Product ID: 30390
As low as: $7.50
Qty Wire/Check Bitcoin CC/PayPal
Any $7.50 $7.58 $7.80
  • Description:

    The Panama 1/4 balboa coin from 1970, cataloged as KM#11.2a and graded as Proof (PF), is a remarkable piece of numismatic history that provides insight into Panama's culture and history. Minted over five decades ago, this coin is not only a collector's delight but also a testament to exquisite design and craftsmanship.

    Understanding the historical context of this coin is essential to fully appreciate its significance. In 1970, Panama was undergoing significant changes and asserting its cultural identity. The Panama Canal, a pivotal conduit for global trade, had transitioned to Panamanian control in 1969. This coin was issued shortly after the transfer of the canal's administration, symbolizing Panama's sovereignty and newfound independence.

    The coin's design pays tribute to Vasco Núñez de Balboa, a Spanish explorer renowned for being the first European to discover the Pacific Ocean while crossing the Isthmus of Panama in 1513. On the obverse (front) side of the coin, a striking portrait of Balboa takes center stage, capturing his adventurous spirit and historical significance. The words "V. NUNEZ DE BALBOA" are elegantly inscribed below the portrait, commemorating this iconic explorer. Turning to the reverse (back) of the coin, Panama's national coat of arms is prominently displayed. The coat of arms features a shield with the Pacific Ocean and Caribbean Sea, symbolizing Panama's strategic geographic location. Within the shield, there are sun rays, mountains, and lush greenery, representing the nation's natural beauty and abundant resources. A banner encircles the coat of arms with the inscription "REPÚBLICA DE PANAMÁ," emphasizing Panama's identity as a sovereign republic.

    In terms of its physical attributes, the Panama 1/4 balboa coin is relatively small, with a diameter of approximately 24.3 millimeters. Its weight, attributed to its silver composition, typically ranges from 5.83 to 6.25 grams. The coin's silver content not only adds to its intrinsic value but also enhances its visual appeal, giving it a lustrous and timeless quality.

    The coin is crafted from 90% silver, making it highly desirable among collectors who appreciate the precious metal's historical significance and enduring value. The remaining 10% consists of copper, which adds durability and resistance to wear, ensuring the coin's longevity.

    These coins were likely minted in the United States, where the Panama Canal Zone was under American administration. The mintage, or the number of coins produced in a specific year, can vary. Proof coins, like this one, are specially struck with great precision and attention to detail, making them highly sought after by collectors.

    When evaluating the condition of this coin, collectors often refer to grading scales, such as the Sheldon Coin Grading Scale. Coins graded as Proof (PF) are considered to be in the highest condition category. They are struck with meticulous care, resulting in flawless surfaces, sharp details, and mirror-like fields. This coin's Proof designation attests to its exceptional quality and craftsmanship.

    An interesting fact about Panama is its enduring connection to the Panama Canal, one of the most vital waterways globally. The canal plays a pivotal role in global trade by connecting the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, reducing travel distances and time for vessels. The transfer of control and administration of the canal from the United States to Panama in 1969 marked a significant milestone in the nation's history, symbolizing its sovereignty and ability to manage this crucial international asset.

    In conclusion, the Panama 1/4 balboa coin from 1970, graded as Proof (PF), is a numismatic treasure that reflects Panama's cultural identity, history, and sovereignty. Its exquisite design, compact size, silver composition, and Proof quality make it a prized collectible for numismatists and history enthusiasts. Whether admired for its aesthetic beauty, historical significance, or intrinsic silver value, this coin stands as a testament to Panama's rich heritage and its prominent role on the global stage.

  • Details:
    • Denomination: N/A
    • Year: 1970
    • Diameter: N/A
    • Mint Mark: N/A
    • Thickness: N/A
    • Grade: N/A

Customer reviews