Panama 1/4 balboa 1969 KM#11.2a PF

  • Inventory:
    2 In Stock
  • Product ID: 30389
As low as: $7.50
Qty Wire/Check Bitcoin CC/PayPal
Any $7.50 $7.58 $7.80
  • Description:

    The Panama 1/4 balboa coin from 1969, cataloged as KM#11.2a and graded as Proof (PF), is a numismatic masterpiece that offers a unique window into Panama's history and culture. Minted over five decades ago, this coin not only holds historical significance but also showcases exquisite design and craftsmanship.

    To fully appreciate this coin, it is essential to delve into its historical context. In the mid-20th century, Panama was undergoing significant changes and developments. The Panama Canal, a monumental engineering feat, continued to play a pivotal role in global trade and navigation. This coin was issued during a period when Panama was asserting its sovereignty over the canal, marking a crucial step in the nation's history.

    The design of the Panama 1/4 balboa coin reflects Panama's newfound status as a sovereign nation and its strong cultural heritage. On the obverse (front) side of the coin, a captivating depiction of Vasco Núñez de Balboa is featured. Balboa, a Spanish explorer, is renowned for being the first European to discover the Pacific Ocean while crossing the Isthmus of Panama in 1513. The words "V. NUNEZ DE BALBOA" are elegantly inscribed below the portrait, paying homage to this historic figure. Turning to the reverse (back) of the coin, a striking image of Panama's national coat of arms takes center stage. The coat of arms features a shield with the Pacific Ocean and Caribbean Sea, representing Panama's unique geographical location. The shield is adorned with a sun, mountains, and a vibrant landscape, symbolizing the nation's natural beauty and resources. A banner with the inscription "REPÚBLICA DE PANAMÁ" proudly encircles the coat of arms, emphasizing Panama's identity as a sovereign republic.

    In terms of its physical attributes, the Panama 1/4 balboa coin is relatively small, with a diameter of approximately 24.3 millimeters. Its weight, attributed to its silver composition, typically ranges from 5.83 to 6.25 grams. The inclusion of silver not only adds to the coin's intrinsic value but also enhances its visual appeal.

    The coin is crafted from 90% silver, making it a sought-after collectible among numismatists who appreciate the precious metal's historical significance and enduring value. The remaining 10% consists of copper, which provides the coin with durability and resistance to wear and tear.

    These coins were likely minted in the United States, where the Panama Canal Zone was under American administration. The mintage, or the number of coins produced in a specific year, can vary. Proof coins, like this one, are typically struck with great precision and attention to detail, making them highly desirable among collectors.

    When evaluating the condition of this coin, collectors often refer to grading scales, such as the Sheldon Coin Grading Scale. Coins graded as Proof (PF) are considered to be in the highest condition category. They are specially struck for collectors and exhibit flawless surfaces, sharp details, and mirror-like fields. This coin's Proof designation indicates its exceptional quality and craftsmanship.

    An interesting fact about Panama is its enduring connection to the Panama Canal, one of the most significant waterways in the world. The canal facilitates global trade by connecting the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, reducing travel distances and time for vessels. The control and administration of the canal have been a subject of historical importance and diplomatic negotiations, shaping Panama's role on the international stage.

    In conclusion, the Panama 1/4 balboa coin from 1969, graded as Proof (PF), is a numismatic masterpiece that encapsulates Panama's history, culture, and sovereignty. Its exquisite design, small size, silver composition, and Proof quality make it a prized collectible for numismatists. Whether admired for its aesthetic beauty, historical significance, or intrinsic silver value, this coin stands as a testament to Panama's rich heritage and its pivotal role on the global stage.

  • Details:
    • Denomination: N/A
    • Year: 1969
    • Diameter: N/A
    • Mint Mark: N/A
    • Thickness: N/A
    • Grade: N/A

Customer reviews