Panama 1/4 balboa 1961 KM#25 UNC silver

  • Inventory:
    1 In Stock
  • Product ID: 30395
As low as: $25.00
Qty Wire/Check Bitcoin CC/PayPal
Any $25.00 $25.25 $26.00
  • Description:

    The Panama 1/4 balboa coin from 1961, cataloged as KM#25 and graded as Uncirculated (UNC), is a numismatic gem that offers a glimpse into Panama's history and culture. Minted over six decades ago, this coin holds historical significance and showcases the artistry and craftsmanship of its time.

    To fully appreciate the historical context of this coin, it's important to understand Panama's position in the early 1960s. At that time, Panama was a strategic crossroads for international trade, thanks to the Panama Canal. The canal, a monumental engineering achievement, connected the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, revolutionizing global shipping routes and facilitating commerce between nations.

    The obverse (front) of the Panama 1/4 balboa coin features a striking portrait of Vasco Núñez de Balboa, the Spanish explorer known for being the first European to reach the Pacific Ocean in 1513. Balboa's adventurous spirit and exploration across the Isthmus of Panama are commemorated on this coin. Below his portrait, the inscription "V. NUNEZ DE BALBOA" is elegantly engraved, paying tribute to the explorer's role in Panama's history. Turning to the reverse (back) of the coin, Panama's national coat of arms is prominently displayed. The coat of arms consists of a shield divided into four quadrants. The upper-left quadrant contains a crossed sword and rifle, symbolizing Panama's commitment to defending its sovereignty and independence. The upper-right quadrant displays a crossed shovel and pickaxe, representing the construction and significance of the Panama Canal, a marvel of engineering. The lower-left quadrant features a ship sailing on the Pacific Ocean, while the lower-right quadrant depicts a ship on the Caribbean Sea, emphasizing Panama's strategic location as a bridge between two oceans.

    A banner encircles the coat of arms, bearing the inscription "REPUBLICA DE PANAMÁ," underscoring Panama's identity as a sovereign republic. The coin's design serves as a testament to Panama's history and the critical role it played on the global stage as a vital link in international trade.

    The Panama 1/4 balboa coin is relatively small in size, with a diameter of approximately 24.3 millimeters. It has a weight that typically ranges from 5.83 to 6.25 grams. The coin's silver composition contributes to its intrinsic value and lends it a timeless luster that collectors find appealing.

    Comprising 90% silver, this coin embodies the historical allure of precious metals and their enduring value. The remaining 10% of the coin consists of copper, which enhances its durability and resistance to wear, ensuring its longevity.

    These coins were likely minted in the United States, where the Panama Canal Zone was under American administration. The mintage, or the number of coins produced in a specific year, can vary. Uncirculated coins, such as this one, are specially struck to ensure their pristine condition, sharp details, and original luster.

    One interesting fact about Panama is its role as a bridge between continents and oceans. The Panama Canal, often referred to as the "Crossroads of the World," has been instrumental in facilitating global trade by connecting the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. It has significantly reduced travel distances and time for vessels, making it one of the most critical and strategic waterways in the world.

    In conclusion, the Panama 1/4 balboa coin from 1961, graded as Uncirculated (UNC), is not just a numismatic treasure but also a historical artifact that reflects Panama's cultural heritage and the significance of the Panama Canal. Its elegant design, compact size, silver composition, and Uncirculated quality make it a prized collectible for numismatists and history enthusiasts alike. Whether admired for its aesthetic beauty, historical importance, or intrinsic silver value, this coin stands as a tribute to Panama's rich heritage and its vital role in global trade.

  • Details:
    • Denomination: N/A
    • Year: 1961
    • Diameter: N/A
    • Mint Mark: N/A
    • Thickness: N/A
    • Grade: N/A

Customer reviews