Panama 1/4 balboa 1953 KM#19 AU silver

  • Inventory:
    1 In Stock
  • Product ID: 30388
As low as: $15.00
Qty Wire/Check Bitcoin CC/PayPal
Any $15.00 $15.15 $15.60
  • Description:

    The Panama 1/4 balboa coin from 1953, cataloged as KM#19 and graded as Almost Uncirculated (AU), is a captivating numismatic treasure that offers a glimpse into Panama's history and its evolving role on the global stage. Minted over half a century ago, this silver coin not only holds historical significance but also showcases intricate design and craftsmanship.

    To truly appreciate this coin, it is essential to explore its historical context. In the 20th century, Panama played a crucial role in international trade and transportation, primarily due to the operation of the Panama Canal. This coin was issued during a period when the canal was under U.S. administration, reflecting the close ties between the two nations during that era.

    The design of the Panama 1/4 balboa coin pays homage to Panama's cultural heritage and its connection to the United States. On the obverse (front) side of the coin, a prominent image of Vasco Núñez de Balboa is featured. Balboa was a Spanish explorer credited with being the first European to discover the Pacific Ocean while crossing the Isthmus of Panama in 1513. The words "V. NUNEZ DE BALBOA" are inscribed below the portrait, honoring this historical figure. Turning to the reverse (back) of the coin, you'll find the denomination, "1/4 BALBOA," and the year of mintage, "1953," enclosed within an elegant decorative border. The reverse design is relatively straightforward, emphasizing the coin's practical use in everyday transactions.

    In terms of its physical attributes, the Panama 1/4 balboa coin is modest in size, with a diameter of approximately 23.5 millimeters. Its weight, attributed to its silver composition, typically ranges from 5.83 to 6.25 grams. The inclusion of silver in this coin adds to its historical value and enhances its appeal to collectors.

    The coin is crafted from 90% silver, making it highly sought after among numismatists who appreciate the intrinsic value of precious metals. The remaining 10% of the coin consists of copper, contributing to its durability and resistance to wear and tear.

    These coins were likely minted in the United States, where the Panama Canal Zone was under American administration. The mintage, or the number of coins produced in a specific year, can vary. In the case of the 1953 Panama 1/4 balboa coin, mintage numbers were substantial, reflecting their use in everyday commerce.

    When assessing the condition of this coin, collectors often refer to grading scales, such as the Sheldon Coin Grading Scale, which ranges from "Poor" to "Mint State." A coin graded as Almost Uncirculated (AU) suggests that it has seen minimal wear and retains much of its original detail, with only minor signs of handling and circulation. This indicates that the coin has been well-preserved over the years, maintaining its historical and numismatic significance.

    An interesting fact about Panama is its enduring role as a vital crossroads of global trade and transportation, thanks to the Panama Canal. The canal connects the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, revolutionizing international trade routes and fostering international cooperation. The presence of the United States in the Panama Canal Zone, as reflected in this coin's design, underscores its historical importance.

    In conclusion, the Panama 1/4 balboa coin from 1953, graded as Almost Uncirculated (AU), is a numismatic gem that not only represents Panama's history and cultural ties but also pays tribute to the legacy of Vasco Núñez de Balboa and the vital role of the Panama Canal. Its elegant design, modest size, silver composition, and historical context make it a cherished collectible for numismatists. Whether admired for its aesthetic qualities, historical significance, or intrinsic silver value, this coin holds a special place in the realm of numismatics and offers a captivating connection to Panama's past.

  • Details:
    • Denomination: N/A
    • Year: 1953
    • Diameter: N/A
    • Mint Mark: N/A
    • Thickness: N/A
    • Grade: N/A

Customer reviews