Panama 1/4 balboa 1933 KM#11.1 VF silver

  • Inventory:
    2 In Stock
  • Product ID: 30387
As low as: $12.50
Qty Wire/Check Bitcoin CC/PayPal
Any $12.50 $12.63 $13.00
  • Description:

    The Panama 1/4 balboa coin from 1933, cataloged as KM#11.1 and graded as Very Fine (VF), is a fascinating numismatic artifact that offers a glimpse into Panama's history and its connection to the global economy. Minted nearly a century ago, this silver coin holds historical significance while showcasing intricate design and craftsmanship.

    To fully appreciate this coin, it's essential to understand its historical context. In the early 20th century, Panama was a region of immense importance due to the construction and operation of the Panama Canal, one of the most remarkable engineering feats of its time. This coin was issued during a period when the United States exercised sovereignty over the Panama Canal Zone, reflecting the close relationship between the two nations during this era.

    The design of the Panama 1/4 balboa coin is emblematic of Panama's cultural heritage and its ties to the United States. On the obverse (front) side of the coin, a prominent image of Vasco Núñez de Balboa is featured. Balboa was a Spanish explorer credited with being the first European to discover the Pacific Ocean while crossing the Isthmus of Panama in 1513. The words "V. NUNEZ DE BALBOA" are inscribed below the portrait, paying homage to this historical figure. Turning to the reverse (back) of the coin, you'll find the denomination, "1/4 BALBOA," and the year of mintage, "1933," enclosed within an elegant decorative border. The reverse design is relatively straightforward, emphasizing the coin's practical use in everyday transactions.

    In terms of its physical attributes, the Panama 1/4 balboa coin is modest in size, with a diameter of approximately 20 millimeters. Its weight, attributed to its silver composition, typically ranges from 5 to 5.83 grams. The inclusion of silver in this coin adds to its historical value and enhances its appeal to collectors.

    The coin is crafted from 90% silver, making it highly desirable among numismatists who appreciate the intrinsic value of precious metals. The remaining 10% of the coin consists of copper, contributing to its durability and resistance to wear and tear.

    These coins were likely minted in the United States, where the Panama Canal Zone was under American administration. The mintage, or the number of coins produced in a specific year, can vary. In the case of the 1933 Panama 1/4 balboa coin, mintage numbers were relatively modest, adding to their collectible status.

    When evaluating the condition of this coin, collectors often refer to grading scales, such as the Sheldon Coin Grading Scale, which ranges from "Poor" to "Mint State." A coin graded as Very Fine (VF) suggests that it exhibits moderate wear but still retains a considerable amount of its original details. This indicates that the coin has seen circulation but has been reasonably well-preserved over the years, preserving its historical and numismatic significance.

    An interesting fact about Panama is its pivotal role as a crossroads of global trade and transportation, thanks to the Panama Canal. The canal connects the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, revolutionizing international trade routes and fostering international cooperation. The presence of the United States in the Panama Canal Zone, as reflected in this coin's design, underscores its historical importance.

    In conclusion, the Panama 1/4 balboa coin from 1933, graded as Very Fine (VF), is a numismatic treasure that not only represents Panama's history and cultural ties but also pays homage to the legacy of Vasco Núñez de Balboa and the vital role of the Panama Canal. Its elegant design, modest size, silver composition, and historical context make it a cherished collectible for numismatists. Whether admired for its aesthetic qualities, historical importance, or intrinsic silver value, this coin holds a special place in the realm of numismatics and offers a captivating connection to Panama's past.

  • Details:
    • Denomination: N/A
    • Year: 1933
    • Diameter: N/A
    • Mint Mark: N/A
    • Thickness: N/A
    • Grade: N/A

Customer reviews