Panama 1/4 balboa 1930 KM#11.1 AU silver

  • Inventory:
    1 In Stock
  • Product ID: 30385
As low as: $25.00
Qty Wire/Check Bitcoin CC/PayPal
Any $25.00 $25.25 $26.00
  • Description:

    The Panama 1/4 balboa coin from 1930, cataloged as KM#11.1 and graded as Almost Uncirculated (AU), is a numismatic treasure that offers a captivating glimpse into Panama's history and its connections to the United States. Struck nearly a century ago, this silver coin not only holds historical significance but also showcases intricate design and craftsmanship.

    To fully appreciate this coin, it is essential to delve into its historical context. During the early 20th century, Panama was a region of strategic importance due to the construction and operation of the Panama Canal, a monumental engineering achievement that transformed global trade. This coin was issued during a period when the United States had sovereignty over the Panama Canal Zone, reflecting the close relationship between the two nations at the time.

    The design of the Panama 1/4 balboa coin is emblematic of the nation's cultural heritage and its ties to the United States. On the obverse (front) side of the coin, a powerful image of Vasco Núñez de Balboa is featured. Balboa was a Spanish explorer who is credited with being the first European to discover the Pacific Ocean while crossing the Isthmus of Panama in 1513. The words "V. NUNEZ DE BALBOA" are inscribed below the portrait, paying homage to this historical figure. Turning to the reverse (back) of the coin, you'll find the denomination, "1/4 BALBOA," and the year of mintage, "1930," enclosed within an elegant decorative border. The reverse design is relatively simple, emphasizing the coin's practical use in everyday transactions.

    In terms of its physical attributes, the Panama 1/4 balboa coin is modest in size, with a diameter of approximately 20 millimeters. Its weight, owing to its silver composition, typically ranges from 5 to 5.83 grams. The presence of silver in this coin adds to its historical value and enhances its appeal to collectors.

    The coin is crafted from 90% silver, making it highly desirable among numismatists who appreciate the intrinsic value of precious metals. The remaining 10% of the coin consists of copper, which contributes to its durability and resistance to wear and tear.

    These coins were likely minted in the United States, where the Panama Canal Zone was under American administration. The mintage, or the number of coins produced in a specific year, can vary. In the case of the 1930 Panama 1/4 balboa coin, mintage numbers were relatively modest, enhancing their collectible status.

    When evaluating the condition of this coin, collectors often rely on grading scales, such as the Sheldon Coin Grading Scale, which ranges from "Poor" to "Mint State." A coin graded as Almost Uncirculated (AU) suggests that it exhibits minimal wear and retains most of its original details, with only slight signs of handling. This indicates that the coin has been well-preserved over the years, preserving its historical and numismatic significance.

    An interesting fact about Panama is its pivotal role as a hub of international trade and transportation, thanks to the Panama Canal. The canal connects the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, revolutionizing global trade routes and fostering international cooperation. The presence of the United States in the Panama Canal Zone, as reflected in this coin's design, underscores its historical importance.

    In conclusion, the Panama 1/4 balboa coin from 1930, graded as Almost Uncirculated (AU), is a numismatic treasure that not only represents Panama's history and cultural ties but also pays homage to the legacy of Vasco Núñez de Balboa and the vital role of the Panama Canal. Its elegant design, modest size, silver composition, and historical context make it a cherished collectible for numismatists. Whether admired for its aesthetic qualities, historical importance, or intrinsic silver value, this coin holds a special place in the realm of numismatics and offers a captivating connection to Panama's past.

  • Details:
    • Denomination: N/A
    • Year: 1930
    • Diameter: N/A
    • Mint Mark: N/A
    • Thickness: N/A
    • Grade: N/A

Customer reviews