Panama 1/10 balboa 1973 KM#10 PF

  • Inventory:
    1 In Stock
  • Product ID: 30373
As low as: $7.50
Qty Wire/Check Bitcoin CC/PayPal
Any $7.50 $7.58 $7.80
  • Description:

    The Panama 1/10 balboa coin from 1973, cataloged as KM#10 and graded as Proof (PF), is a remarkable piece of numismatic history that provides valuable insights into Panama's past. Minted over five decades ago, this silver coin not only carries intrinsic historical significance but also showcases meticulous design and craftsmanship.

    To fully appreciate this coin, it is essential to delve into its historical context. In the early 20th century, Panama was a province of Colombia, but the desire for independence, combined with the strategic importance of the Panama Canal, led to a series of events culminating in Panama's separation from Colombia and its alliance with the United States in the early 1900s. The Panama Canal, under American control, became a crucial waterway connecting the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.

    The design of the Panama 1/10 balboa coin reflects the nation's identity and its association with the United States. On the obverse (front) side of the coin, a prominent image of Vasco Núñez de Balboa is featured. Balboa, a Spanish explorer, was the first European to reach the Pacific Ocean from the New World in 1513, a significant historical event in the exploration of the Americas. The words "REPUBLICA DE PANAMA" and "UN DECIMO DE BALBOA" encircle the central design, emphasizing Panama's status as a sovereign nation and the denomination of the coin. Turning to the reverse (back) of the coin, you'll encounter the coin's denomination, "1/10," and the year of mintage, "1973," encircled by an elegant decorative border. The reverse design is relatively simple, emphasizing the coin's practical use in everyday transactions.

    Regarding its physical specifications, the Panama 1/10 balboa coin is modest in size, with a diameter of approximately 17 millimeters. Its weight typically ranges from 1.7 to 1.8 grams, making it a practical denomination for daily commerce.

    The coin is primarily composed of silver, a precious metal renowned for its beauty and value throughout history. In particular, these proof coins are crafted from 90% silver, making them highly desirable among numismatists who appreciate both the historical importance and intrinsic value of silver coins. The remaining 10% consists of copper, which adds durability and resistance to wear.

    Proof coins are known for their exceptional quality and finish, featuring mirror-like fields and deeply frosted devices. These coins are struck with special dies and polished planchets to create a flawless appearance. The Panama 1/10 balboa coin from 1973, graded as Proof (PF), is a testament to the precision and craftsmanship of the minting process.

    These proof coins were minted in the United States, specifically at the Philadelphia Mint, a renowned institution celebrated for its precision and craftsmanship in producing coins for various countries, including those in the Panama Canal Zone. The mintage, or the number of coins produced in a specific year, for proof coins is typically lower than for circulation coins, adding to their collectible appeal.

    An interesting fact about Panama is its strategic geographical location, with the Panama Canal serving as one of the world's most vital waterways. It connects the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, facilitating global trade and significantly reducing maritime travel times for vessels, making it an indispensable link in international commerce. The use of balboas as the national currency underscores Panama's connection to the United States and the canal's importance.

    In conclusion, the Panama 1/10 balboa coin from 1973, graded as Proof (PF), serves as a compelling representation of the nation's history, identity, and its close ties to the United States. Its intricate design, practical specifications, and impeccable proof quality make it a cherished collectible, not only for numismatists but also as a tangible reminder of Panama's status as a sovereign nation and its pivotal role in global trade through the Panama Canal.

  • Details:
    • Denomination: N/A
    • Year: 1973
    • Diameter: N/A
    • Mint Mark: N/A
    • Thickness: N/A
    • Grade: N/A

Customer reviews